Saturday, June 23, 2007

I Hear Ladan Screaming

I'm working on another post that will highlight much more of our weekend, Ladan's birthday, my mom's surgery/recovery, etc. In the meantime, I wanted to jot a few stories down from today...

Chet and I were debriefing at the end of the day, and Ladan was interrupting and being generally defiant. When we corrected him, he began to argue with me (which he knows he's not supposed to do). I told him he needed to go sit in his room for a few minutes and that I'd be in to talk to him when I finished talking with Chet. He happily went into his room as if he didn't know he was in trouble.

After a couple of minutes, he obviously figured it out. He started crying. And then he started calling my name very loudly.... "Mommy! Mommy!" (repeats this at least 10 more times)... then "Phyllis! Phyllis!" (repeats this only a couple more times)... then he calls out down the hall, "I hear Ladan screaming! Do you hear Ladan screaming? I hear Ladan screaming!" At this point, Chet and I cracked up (quietly of course so he wasn't totally encouraged to continue interrupting our conversation). But I couldn't wipe the smile off my face before I went to his room. When I arrived, Ladan quickly apologized, we discussed his behavior and what he should do differently in the future, and we moved on with the evening. Of course, he ended up disobeying in the same fashion a while later and didn't get off quite as easily. Apparently, "Yes, Mom" is not a natural phrase for a 3-year-old to say when he's corrected or when he's asked to wait patiently.

He ended the evening playing with the new toolbox and tool set he received for his birthday from Gigi and Danny Joe. He's loving it so far. Because of the rushed nature of our arrival here in Louisville yesterday and the fact that I've worked two shifts since then, most of his birthday gifts are still out in the van. Tomorrow night's project...

At about midnight, Gabe woke up to drink a bottle. Random aside... he's almost 9 months old, and he almost always still wakes up at least once. He's pretty skinny, so I always go ahead and feed him, but if we go to that 9-month check-up, and he's beefed up a bit, he'll be crying it out in no time. Okay, back to the story at hand... I was holding him while he held his bottle. He doesn't use his thumbs in an opposing fashion when he drinks; rather, he cups his hands--kind of funny and pretty cute. Well, I couldn't help but look at his tiny little hands holding that bottle up and just enjoying how the Lord designed such an amazing creature. He's my tiny little guy, but Lord willing, one day he'll grow up to be a man. I started to imagine his much larger, very strong hands. It's my job to protect him now, but in no time, he'll be the one protecting me. God is so gracious!

1 comment:

Lily of the Valley said...

Loved reading this entry. Don't have two little ones, but I could imagine the chaos nevertheless.

Some people, who shall remain nameless, thought Isabella was too small (too thin, more specifically), especially in her third and fourth month of life. Now, those same persons think she's a bit on the chunky side. In reality, she's at approximately 50%. Didn't really change what I did with her, but I made sure to eat and sleep well (affects the breast milk supply). Not entirely sure why I'm saying all this. Perhaps I more tired and weary than I thought. I'm sorry to hear that Gabe is still waking you up in the night. Maybe that's what I'm trying to say!