Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Overwhelmed... Part 1

I am totally overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Seriously. My chest has been feeling like it's going to explode for the last 5 days. I took off with the boys on Thursday, and we drove to Chet's hometown. We arrived at Chet's mom's house LATE on Thursday night. I settled the boys in and gave instructions for their care (thankfully, I don't have to give Glenna many instructions, because she ROCKS). Then I woke up early on Friday and took to the road again... on my way to Minneapolis for the Desiring God conference this time. My brother and sister-in-law met up with me there, and we stayed with my good friend, Matt. He lives and works in the city just a few blocks from the conference center, so it was perfect! The theme of the conference was "Stand: A Call for the Endurance of the Saints", and the speakers were John MacArthur, Jerry Bridges, Randy Alcorn, Helen Roseveare, and John Piper. It was phenomenal. The whole weekend was more than I could handle.

I'm going to attempt to put it all into words, but I'm sure it will be inadequate. I've been studying Genesis in my time with the Lord, so I think I'll try to pattern my thoughts after this first book of the Word....

The Wonder of Creation

I saw and enjoyed every aspect of the LORD's creation this weekend. I drove exactly 1,900 miles (1,000 with the boys in the car) over the course of five days... and I saw so many indescribable things.

On my way from Louisville to Novinger, MO, we drove through the Hoosier National Forest. Some of the trees had started to turn, but there were some that were particularly interesting. They were smaller and narrower than most trees, and inevitably, they were backed by dark green evergreens. These particular trees had lost all of their leaves except for one or two at the end of every branch. These leaves were bright yellow, and with the dark green of the evergreens in the background, they were breathtaking. The Lord is detailed in His creation!

As we passed over the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, I noticed how little rain we've really had. The sandbars jutting up above the water were enormous... bigger than I remember seeing at any point before.

On my way from Novinger to Minneapolis, I saw so many wonderful things:
  • As soon as I crossed over into Iowa, the roads were lined with the most beautiful yellow and purple wildflowers
  • I saw a couple Amish folks riding in their horse-drawn carriages. Their horses are always breathtaking.
  • I passed by the turn-off for the Bridges of Madison County and drove through the Silos and Smokestacks region of Iowa... both things I'd like to go back and see more of.
  • Two dead skunks... the only thing that made this wonderful was that it seemed like they had died long enough before my arrival on the scene that they didn't smell totally disgusting.
  • The OLD mansions of Centerville, Iowa and other towns along the way. I love small-town old houses. I don't think I ever want to own one, but I thoroughly enjoy looking at them. Speaking of Centerville, Iowa, their town sign says they are "Quietly Progressive." I thought that was kind of funny.
  • Driving through northern Iowa, I ran across a sign that read, "Politicians take note... Hogs don't vote!" Which made me thankful that I couldn't smell those resident hogs as I drove through! :)

And then I arrived in Minneapolis and was pleasantly surprised. I had assumed that it was a pretty cool city, but it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Clean, well-designed, and full of interesting things to do and see. The buildings were huge, which made it seem like the airplanes flying by were traveling at about 4 miles per hour. I drove into the city to pick Matt up, and we went back out to the airport to pick up my brother and Amber. It was SO GOOD to be in the car with all of them... like I was home even though I was 900 miles away from home. I'll designate a separate entry to the happenings of the conference and our good times. For now, I'll finish with what I saw along the way.

Sunday I dropped my brother and Amber off at the airport and set out to drive back to Novinger. There was a pretty bad rainstorm going on, and I ended up hydroplaning twice on my way to the airport. So I called Matt and asked him to check the weather for me. He communicated that the storm should be letting up just south of town, so I pressed on. I'm so grateful. Somewhere into Iowa, the clouds started to part to the west. However, I was still under the ledge of clouds and rain. There was a bright blue sky with a setting sun to the west, and a black sky to the east. I looked over at one point, and I saw it... the brightest double rainbow I've ever seen in my life! It was totally uninterrupted, but within seconds, it vanished. Thank You, Lord!

As I kept driving, there were flashes of lightning that spanned the entire sky, with streaks to my right, left, and directly in front of me all at the same time. Our Creator is indeed the Father of Lights!!!!

Once I turned onto Highway 2 to travel across southern Iowa, I was officially in farm country again. I saw several dead deer (thankfully no live ones coming at me), a rat ran across the road, and a frog came hopping right at my car. I hope I missed him. After I had driven through several small towns, I looked for a place that seemed far away from light pollution, and I stopped. I turned off the car and all my lights and stared up at a sky full of stars. FABULOUS!!! (When I told my brother about this, he told me I'm never to do that again... being a girl driving by myself and all. I'll just have to make sure I don't tell him about it! :) Just kidding, Bro.)

On the final stretch of the drive, we were driving across Southern Indiana through the Hoosier National Forest again, and the sky was emblazoned by the biggest, brightest orange sun setting in the sky I have ever seen. We were driving away from it, but thank God for rear-view mirrors! I was able to watch it until it dropped off the horizon.

Praise God for His glorious creation! What a mercy to allow me to see so many aspects of the earth in just five days' time!

Romans 1:19-20a (ESV) -- For what can be known about God is plain to [man], because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.

No comments: