Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Overwhelmed... Part 2

The Desiring God conference itself was too much to describe. After every session, Matt would ask me how it went, and I only seemed to be able to assign one-word adjectives. There was so much going on in my head that I couldn't even articulate. I'm sure he thought I was a bit crazy (of course, this was confirmed way back in high school!).

As I was talking with my brother and Amber, we discussed the fact that it is incredibly humbling to hear people like Jerry Bridges and Helen Roseveare, who are 77 and 83 years old respectively, share about their ministries and their walks with the Lord. It was also a great joy to hear MacArthur, Alcorn and Piper. Basically, at the end of it all, we were talking about how it's impossible to hear these people talk and not feel an obligation to do something with what they've said. You CANNOT just let it go in one ear and out the other without it changing your life somewhere in between.

I fully anticipate listening to the conference sessions at least once every couple of months... maybe for the rest of my life. If you're interested in hearing them as well, please go to the Desiring God site and check it out. You can listen to the audio, watch the videos, or read the manuscripts.

After one of the sessions, I was telling Matt that I so want to be 80 years old and still passionate about the Lord and sharing Him with others despite a hunched back or bad eyesight. He kindly encouraged me by saying, "You can, you know." May I be faithful to do just that!

Two scriptures highlighted at the conference that perfectly describe the cries of my heart:
  • Psalm 27:4 (ESV) -- One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.
  • Psalm 71:18 (ESV) -- So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come.

1 comment:

Amber said...

umm...yeah...overwhelmed is the perfect adjective. i tried to blog about i and read back through it and felt i was making so little of what was really in my heart...i guess there is only so much words can express!