Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Healthy Foods at School... and the Ice Cream Man

I was watching the local news tonight, and they did a report on the new healthy lunches they're offering kids at the public schools this year. I think the traditional hot lunch is still an option, but I can't be sure. In any case, one of the options is to choose a "boxed" lunch... basically an assortment of "healthy" foods that represent all the foods groups put into a clear plastic disposable container.

First of all, can you even imagine the number of those plastic containers the school district will go through in a single day... let alone an entire school year... or many school years?!? Talk about a ridiculous amount of waste. As if the packaging from the individually packaged items inside isn't enough.

And more importantly, these are just a few of the healthy items I saw in the lunch boxes: chopped veggies, fruit, Scooby snacks, an "Uncrustables" peanut butter and jelly sandwich, etc.

Okay, obviously the veggies and fruit were healthy options, but come on... an Uncrustables sandwich? It's white bread with peanut butter made with hydrogenated oils and way too much jelly for the size of the sandwich. Scooby snacks? Now, I'm not going to go legalistic and say that one can never eat any of these items for any reason, but putting them in a school lunch and calling it healthy is over the top in my mind.

It's no wonder the lunch prices are going up this year... the problem is that most of the money will likely be thrown in the garbage every day.

Sorry for the soapbox post. I'll move on to other more productive conversations next time.

Actually, while I'm here, maybe I'll go ahead and ask this question: Do the ice cream men who drive through your neighborhood creep you out more than they did when you were a kid yourself? Or maybe it's not the men themselves but the fact that the ice cream trucks look like they're literally about to fall apart if they go over one more railroad track that makes me think it's all a little shady? Now, I'm not afraid of the ice cream men in a way that makes me think they're going to pull out a gun on me or something, but if I'm honest I think I'll say that I'll probably teach my kids to run INTO the house when the ice cream truck comes through. Am I crazy, or what?

7 comments:

Bld424 said...

Oooh, two good topics!

I am floored by the amount of waste in a school cafeteria. I'll be teaching high school again next year, and since I am a science teacher, I hope I can form some sort of recycle program or sustainability club to get rid of all that plastic! I was disappointed when the schools went to plastic silverware and styrofoam trays. I think kids miss out on hot lunch when everything is so disposible. Plus, my students HATED those uncrustable sandwiches.

I don't have a good answer for the best way to make healthy foods for such a large student population, however. Not yet anyway, but the night is still young, I might have a good idea!

The ice cream truck/van comes to our neighborhood once a week. My husband noticed that he is the rich neighborhoods on weekends and some evenings, and we over in the NE recently developed subdivisons of Columbia get Monday night. At least the guy has a business plan, right? I am definately creeped out by the characters that drive that van. I think they should make an effort NOT to look like pedafiles or villians. And who pays $1.50 for a Bomb Pop? I'll teach my kids not to buy products out of moving vehicles and that the music they play is annoying!

Phyllis said...

That was quick! :)

There's actually a school district somewhere along the east coast that did an experiment for a year. They provided lunches made completely of fresh unprocessed whole foods. Within weeks, they noticed the energy levels of the students increasing. Over the course of the year, the students earned better grades, were more involved, had fewer discipline problems, and stayed in school longer (as opposed to dropping out). Amazing! It cost the county more money, but basically only for a few months, because just a few months later they were reaping the rewards by saving money in so many other ways! Basically, they broke even AND the kids did so much better! Now that's what I call a good plan!

aybi said...

hello, thanks for this article. it's really informative. and very nice pics!

Wendy said...

At our private school, lunch is $2.50 a day for frozen,heated up stuff.(corndogs,nuggets) Salad bar is alway offered but they do not allow the young kids to get up to visit the salad bar. With 3 kids in school, I am left to make my own pb,&j on wheat bread;)

Rumor has it the ice cream truck sells more than ice cream where I live. My kids do not go near the ice cream truck.

KrayonKel said...

Don't you know that all the hydrogenated oils of a PB&J sandwich are in the crust? ;)

Caitlin said...

I agree about the ice cream man. Have you noticed that the windows are darkly shaded and they're always wearing sunglasses? It kind of reminds me of some kidnapper! We try to stay away.
Se ya Later!

Anonymous said...

Ice cream men are TERRIFYING. Seriously - they are creepy.

And imagine all the chemicals that the plastic is going to release into the air/water at some point. Gross!! You know, it's just not so hard to make a good, old-fashioned, no iceberg lettuce salad.

But, I do like fruit snacks. :-P