Friday, November 6, 2009

Conversations with a Literalist

Ladan is our resident literalist. Here are a couple of conversations we had with him today....

[On the way home from Kids' Night at the Smiths']

Ladan: Mom, I'm kind of hungry. I think I need a snack before I go to bed.

Me: Okay. Maybe we can get you some cereal when we get home.

Ladan: No. I was thinking about eating one of those twisty fruit snacks. [Referring to Clif Twisted Fruit--VERY yummy]

Me: Well, I don't think we're going to have any of those tonight. I told you when we got them that we weren't going to eat one every day. You've had one every day since we got them, so we're not going to have any tonight.

Ladan: Well, Mom, we didn't have one every day.

Me: We had one yesterday and one the day before, which is every day since we got them.

Ladan: Mom. [Read that with an "I need you to pay attention" tone] This is not a day. This is the middle of the night. We did not have one in the day, so we did not have one every day since we got them.

Me: [Laughing pretty hard but trying to keep it quiet]

Ladan: Mom, you should not be laughing at me. That makes me nervoused [yes, with an "ed" at the end]. You should stop laughing because I don't like that very much.

Me: Ladan, I like that you're five. This is fun!

-----------------------------------------

[As Chet was leaving the room when the boys were going to bed]

Chet: Goodnight. Sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite. I love you. See you in the morning.

Ladan: But, Dad. There are no bugs in my bed.

Chet: Oh, that's right, Buddy. There are no bed bugs in your bed. That's just a saying. It means sleep good.

Ladan: But, Dad. There are no bed bugs.... Right?

Chet: No, there are no bed bugs. Sleep good.

-------------------------------------------------

A couple days ago I was talking to Chet as Ladan was quietly playing with cars on the floor. Here's how that went down...

Chet: I'm so tired today. I can't seem to wake up.

Me: I hear that. As soon as I hit the pillow last night, Claire woke up and needed something... twice.

Ladan: Why did you hit your pillow, Mom?

I love my kids! They're awesome!

3 comments:

jenny said...

Love it, love it, love it.

Liz Hooper Brookhart said...

I love having conversatins with 5 year olds...it is one of the reasons I go to work everyday.

Anonymous said...

He truly comes by it naturally:) :)(must be correct) When you were little you didn't like to be "laughed with" either. As a mom it wasn't fun to watch/see. It was a huge reminder of how sensitive & intense you were. Thankfully as you grew so did your sense of humor.
It amazes me how the kids thought processes go! Each generation seems to get smarter & talented. Won't be long before Claire is playing the piano with those fingers & toes :) LOL
Hope to see you soon! Love, Mom