Sunday, July 18, 2010

Salsa Recipe

It's about that time.... Time to make the first batch of SALSA this year. And this year I get to eat it! Last year, I had all these awesome tomatoes that were transformed into yummy salsa. I spent quite a few hours making it. I burned my hands on the peppers because I forgot to get rubber gloves every time I went to the store. I chopped and chopped, boiled, chopped some more, stirred, poured... and then STARED at the salsa... SO wanting to eat it but realizing that Claire would literally revolt if I did. Considering the fact that it would be unfair to my newborn to indulge, I tasted just one bite per batch, and that was it. Well, this year will not be the same! I will likely eat it by the jar-full! Okay, that's extreme. That would also be punishment of a different kind. The point is that I'm excited about this batch of salsa. I think the tomatoes are perfectly ripe, and it's going to be AWESOME!

For those of you who'd like to try to make it also, it's actually fairly easy. I started with the "Chunky Salsa" recipe from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book and adapted it as I saw fit. It makes about 5 or 6 pints of salsa.

Here's what you need:

  • 7 pounds ripe tomatoes (20 medium--or any grouping that comes to the equivalent). Some folks say Romas are the way to go. I found last year that it didn't matter what kind of tomatoes they were as long as they were homegrown and ripe from the garden.
  • 10 fresh Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, seeded and chopped (abt. 3 cups) I use Anaheim peppers, mostly green with hints of red. I only seed about half of them... partly because I don't want to take the time and partly because the seeds help add spice and flavor, so I don't want to throw them out.
  • 3 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped. I only seed about half of these peppers as well. If you like your salsa extra-spicy, you can substitute serrano peppers for jalapenos.
  • 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped. I did actually seed this well, because it was easy and fast.
  • 1 cup chopped white or yellow onions (1 large)
  • 2 cups chopped green onions (the whole onion except the tips and end of the bulb)--I found that the green onions from my garden were really lots better than the onions from the store
  • 1/2 cup snipped fresh cilantro
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 of a 6 oz. can (1/3 cup) tomato paste [I use organic tomato paste]
  • 5 garlic cloves (minced)--I went for fairly large cloves, so if you have only small ones, add more than 5
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • Rubber gloves for chopping those peppers... they really will burn your skin off

Now here's what you do:

  • Seed, core, and coarsely chop tomatoes. I actually wasn't too concerned about the seeding part. I did get the tough core out, and I scraped away the seeds that were easy to reach, but I didn't have time to worry about all of them, and it worked out just fine. You'll have about 14 cups of tomatoes.
  • Place tomatoes in a large colander. Let drain 30 minutes.
  • Dump drained tomatoes into a large heavy stainless-steel stock pot or cast iron kettle. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • Add all peppers, onions, cilantro, vinegar, tomato paste, garlic, salt and pepper.
  • Return mixture to boiling. Then reduce heat.
  • Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Can or freeze as necessary... if you have any that lasts that long! FYI--This salsa does not last as long in the refrigerator as store-bought salsa... because there are no preservatives.

Now, what are YOUR favorite recipes for garden-fresh tomatoes?

3 comments:

Chrissy Green said...

Thanks Phyllis! I'm going to try it this week! I've been looking for new things to make with this plethora of tomatoes that I have! I've just been slicing them up for snacks, sandwiches and salads.

Phyllis said...

GREAT! Let me know how it goes or if you add anything different to improve it. I just edited the entry to account for the green peppers I added last year too. I forgot about those until I re-read your comment where you mentioned your own green peppers. Thanks for the reminder! Have fun!

Keli B. said...

I can't seem to accumulate enough to make a batch of salsa; I keep eating them! I like to eat them on egg sandwiches or in omelettes for breakfast.