Thursday, April 19, 2007

Have You Ever Numbered Your Days?

I'm going through a book by Nancy Leigh DeMoss titled A 30-Day Walk With God in the Psalms. I'd like to take a minute to just say that I don't always tend to enjoy workbook-style studies all that well, but this one has been amazing so far! For the last few days, I've been focusing on Psalm 90. One of the key verses is v.12, which reads:

"So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom."

One of the application exercises in my study goes like this:

  • Calculate approximately how many days you have already lived.
  • If God gives you a lifespan of 70 years (25,550 days), how many days do you have left on earth?
  • How do you want to live those remaining days?

My answers:

  • I've already lived approximately 10,410 days.
  • I would have approximately 15,140 days remaining if I lived to age 70. Okay, first of all, have you ever numbered your days before? This is pretty crazy! These numbers are not all that far apart from one another. I know I'm 28, but I guess this is much closer to mid-life than I realized. Someone could look at this and say, "Oh, wow! I still have 15,000 days left!" But when you think about how fast the first part of your life has gone by and realize that the last part will probably move even faster, this can be a bit sobering. I'm imagining that, for many, this type of exercise is a major reality check.
  • Wow! How do I want to live my remaining days? Is there any way to answer this question without being totally predictable? (And is it necessarily bad to be predictable if you're a believer and really should have the same answer as everyone else who loves the LORD?) I want to live intentionally for the LORD, daily glorifying Him in thought, word, and deed. What does this mean? It means being a servant... in my home, in my church, in my community. It means being filled with the Word so that my mind is continually focused on eternal things. It means sitting under sound teaching and mentorship that will help me grow. It means caring for the things that the Lord has so graciously given me: a godly husband, two amazing kids, my home, my body. Ultimately, I desire to live my remaining days in such a way as to hear from the LORD, "Well done, my good and faithful servant," and to leave a heritage of godliness behind me so that, Lord willing, my children and many others will hear the same thing one day.

A scripture reference for further meditation is provided at the end of each study in this book, and they are always so good. Today's passage is 2 Peter 3:8-13. I think verses 14 and 18 should also be included in this meditation, so I'm printing the whole thing here in the English Standard Version:

"But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day
is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to
fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not
wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. But the
day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with
a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth
and the works that are done on it will be exposed.

Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people
ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening
the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire
and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to
his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which
righteousness dwells.

Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these things, be diligent
to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace....

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."

So, on that note, how many days do you have left (if you live to 70)? And how do you want to live them?

1 comment:

amberburger said...

i love it! your blog looks awesome! vernon and i are looking at it and we both consent that it is wonderful! love you!