Monday, April 2, 2007

Think Before You Speak

I have to tell you all about a situation that had us cracking up here in our house last night. Chet's mom (Glenna) and sister (Megan) were here in town (they left this morning), and we were outside in the back yard playing and having a picnic. Glenna was holding Gabe, and I suggested that Chet take a photo of her because it was a cute pose. She said that she didn't think she looked very good at the moment and wanted to wait to take the picture. So here's what I said back...

"Well, if we wait until YOU look good, we'll never get a picture."

What??!!!! Can you believe I said that? What I meant was, "The boys are happy now, and they might not be ready for a photo whenever you feel like you're presentable for a photo. You look great, so let's just go for it now." But it DID NOT come out like that! Thankfully, she was gracious and was able to laugh with me about my blunder! I mean, really, did I THINK that would sound good?! I've been laughing about it ever since I said it.

I haven't written in a while, so I'll give a quick update.
  • We had a fabulous time visiting my brother, Amber, and Titus in Texas a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to get some photos together to send out. Amber took some really great ones, so I'm going to have a hard time choosing.
  • Ladan is not yet potty trained, but he's talking about it more. The problem is that he's a bit stubborn and tends to hold it for about 10-12 hours until he gets a diaper on again before bed. So I removed his guard rail the other day (so it's easier for me to change his sheets in the middle of the night if necessary), and this week, I'm going to start sending him to bed without the diaper. He'll wet himself a couple of times, and hopefully he'll at least realize that he has no other choice except to go in the potty during the day.
  • Gabe now has two teeth, eats cereal and fruit, and rolls and scoots all over the place. He is such a happy kid! He's still got some chub on him, but he's getting long and lean like his brother. He's already down to the 25th percentile for his weight, but his height is hanging in there at about the 60-75th percentile.
  • I got a summer job at Old Navy, and I am super excited! I was trying to think of ways I could develop relationships with people who may or may not know the Lord (ideally, this group will include some college students), and I can't afford to go to Starbucks at the same time every week to hang out with the baristas and customers. It's all too easy to get stuck in a bubble when you're in seminary, and now that Gabe can be independent of me for longer, I thought this was a good way. I decided this was a great way to accomplish the goals of branching out and earning some money at the same time. Plus, we buy more than half of our clothes at Old Navy, so the discount will be very helpful as well.
  • Chet and I saw Amazing Grace on our last date night, and it was SENSATIONAL! Every person should see it.

Chet just let me know that it's time for him to head off to class, so I'll finish more later.

No comments: