Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Joys of Apartment Living

You thought I was going to be sarcastic here, but I actually am going to talk about the joys of apartment living. A few weeks ago I mentioned that we are really excited to have our new neighbors on the other side of our wall. And I might have mentioned that I feel like my life has become significantly easier since they moved in. Just tonight, Jessica had to go pick Glen up from work (at about 11pm). So she was able to leave her key and her baby monitor with me just in case their little girl woke up while they were gone. They have done this very same thing for me several times so I can run to the post office or other such place while my children are napping.

Then, when they arrived back at the homestead tonight, we stood in our doorways chatting for quite a while--a couple of hours, actually. Jessica is pregnant, and she ended up getting tired of standing. So I just went in and sat with her and Glen for a while. Our front doors were open (they face each other), so when Gabe woke up to eat, I was able to hear him on the monitor (which was still in its normal location in our apartment). We talked about all sorts of things, from Glen's and Chet's course selections for summer and fall; baby carriers and slings; differences between small private and large secular universities; how to effectively carry two children and lots of stuff all at the same time... the list goes on.

I've also been able to get to know one of our upstairs neighbors and the folks at the end of the building... along with many families throughout the neighborhood.

The point is that we are experiencing a blessing of close community that I don't think many people in our culture ever get to experience. I'm just reminded once again of how grateful I am to the Lord for directing us to move here. There are some who would consider this place to be a step down from our previous dwellings, but I think it's a step up. Sure, the last couple of places we've lived have been very nice, spacious, and carefully manicured. But all of those things will fade away or burn in the end. Relationships will last forever. Even if we don't all keep in contact until we die, just realizing that we are impacting each other's lives in ways that we'll never forget is totally worth the trade.

So, tonight, I'm thanking God for the smallest apartment I've ever lived in. And for four of the biggest blessings... sleeping on the other side of the wall (I'm counting the baby girl we'll get to meet in July).

2 comments:

KrayonKel said...

Awww! That's sweet.

Did you know that Jeff Huffman and I live in the same building at my apartment building? Funny, huh?

I LOVE those two pictures of your kids. Ladan looks so much like you! :)

lovetruth said...

Great words. One of my professor's and I were talking in his office last week and he was really challenging me with some of his thoughts. He kept asking how I think it would be if the church started making the living room as the focus point of discipleship and community (obviously other rooms would work also...possibly even hallways if the other person was not pregnant! HA!). He point was that so much is going in for buildings and programs when one of the most effective times of growth is in the living room talking about Jesus, life, etc.

It just struck me of how incredible it would be if this was really a focus...just some thoughts. thanks for making me think more. I love you a ton!!!