Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Check These Out

I have thoroughly enjoyed some of my blog readings today.

First, my brother posted a helpful but also very entertaining entry giving us all new insight into how biblical wisdom applies to changing a flat tire on the side of the highway.

Then I happened to find a blog called Stuff White People Like, and... oh my good gracious! It had me cracking up out loud all by myself in my living room. I mean, seriously, this is amazingly accurate on almost every count, and I've only skimmed or read through the most recent 15 or so posts. I can already tell that this is going to be a source of enjoyment for me when I need a good pick-me-up. Nothing like being able to laugh at yourself when you're down in the dumps. And, on a day like today--a good day--well, you might just bust into a hearty chuckle or the kind of laughter that is completely silent and is accompanied by tears streaming down your face (and if you're my mom, you may throw in a snort or two!). NOTE: I definitely don't condone every activity highlighted as a preferred white person activity, but nevertheless, I think they do a pretty good job of pointing out what white people do and value.

And, finally, Amber has posted another entry in the Family Planning Series. In her post, she addresses the question, "What if my spouse and I don't hold the same convictions on this issue?" Check it out and keep your eyes on her blog. She's planning to unpack a few other relatively common issues that tend to further complicate an already complicated issue. And while you're on her page, try to remember to say a quick prayer for her as she enters the last few weeks of her pregnancy. She's really trying to keep this little guy in for another couple weeks if possible.

We've got a busy few weeks ahead of us. Next Thursday Chet finishes his finals, marking the completion of his third year of seminary! That same day, I fly to Fort Worth to go to my brother's graduation. Next Friday, Chet turns 30!!!!! I'm sad I'll miss his actual birthday, but I can't have Gabe feeling like he's the only one I skip town on. Kidding. I really did miss Gabe's first birthday, but we celebrated on another day. If it makes you all feel better, I'll also be out of town on Mother's Day and won't get to hear my kids tell me how cool I am or anything like that. They'll have to save that for another day too.

Then Chet leaves for India the following weekend. We're in the process of working toward a scenario that would allow him to quit the UPS job, which means that we'll have to do some legwork to apply for insurance and get a bunch of other medical stuff done between now and the time his UPS insurance (which pays for nearly everything) ends. So basically, we have about a million and three chores to complete between now and the middle of May, but we're really excited about everything that's coming up! I'll keep you updated on all that, and I'll be posting at least another entry or two to wrap up the Family Planning series.

4 comments:

Isaac Johnson said...

I am a big fan of "stuff white people like"! Glad to see you stumbled on to it! Also, it was wonderful seeing you guys in Louisville. We had such an amazing weekend!

Katie said...

Greg and I found that Stuff White People Like blog a little while ago. Funny stuff!

jenny said...

It was great seeing you in KY...one of my interns is obsessed with stuff white people like. She gets really excited about it :)

Lily of the Valley said...

Wow, will be praying for your various activities and changes. Sounds exciting and perhaps a bit overwhelming.